This Page

has been moved to new address

My blog is moving!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Adventures of a Suburban Kitty: My blog is moving!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

My blog is moving!

I really love blogger. Really. It's simple and straightforward and lets me blog without too much fuss. I can't do anything fancy, but I don't need to. With the introduction of Google+, Google has taken on an anti-user attitude lately. This makes me very very sad. They're insisting that all users must use real names and be real people. Well, I may be using my real name, but I'm a kitty and they don't seem to like that. Google is starting to suspend accounts of users that aren't using real names, so I'm working on moving my stuff over to Word Press before my account gets suspended. Word Press doesn't seem to care that I'm a cat.

It's gonna take me a while to get everything over there and working properly. I'd appreciate any advice I can get from others who've already been through this process. The automatic import only brought in the titles of the blogs and the names of the commentors, but no content. so this is gonna take a while. I'll let you know when it's ready. In fact, I may do something very special to launch my new site!

There's gonna be some changes at the new site. One of them is that I'm starting to carry advertising. I know we all are kind of tired of ads everywhere, but I still think I have to do this. The money from the ads is where I get my money to donate to #pawpawty and #nipclub charities, Duncansplace.org, and all the other places I donate. I've been doing sponsered tweets for a while, but that's not enough money. So I'm finding ways to carry paid ads on my site. Some will be banners on the web site. Others will be in the form of a blog entry. I hope you'll visit my advertisers. The more successful ads on my site are, the more I'll make for animal charities.

That's it for this Sunday. Have a good week everyone!

Edit: Some of you don't know what I'm talking about. Google+ is Google's latest attempt at social networking. They're insisting that anyone using Google+ use their real name and be able to prove it's their real name. They're suspending accounts for people using pseudonyms. They're not just suspending the Google+ account, but blocking people from accessing anything they have in Google. A friend of mom's has already had this done.

I've decided not to wait and see what happens. I've downloaded all my Google info (photos, contacts, posts, etc.), backed up my blog, and am moving my blog to Word Press. Once I've successfully done that, I'm going to register my own domain and change my  email, too.

Personally, I think Google is being very shortsided. Google was the most user friendly integrated system out there. That's why I jumped at using Google+ the week it was introduced. I think Google+'s best chance at competing in the social networking world is to be what the users want. If it's going to be as restrictive as Facebook and start treating us as product to be sold to advertisers rather than as the consumers, I think this will eventually come back to bite them in the butt.

I was so excited about Google+. Now I wish I hadn't signed up for it and sent out invites to others.. I'm not sure I would be as at risk of losing access to everything I have in Google if I had not jumped on the Google+ bandwagon. I don't know how long the process will take as I'm having problems with the transfer. I'll keep you posted on the change and I'll keep blogging here until I either finalize the transfer process or lose access to my account. Sorry if I've been a little long-winded, but I'm not sure I could have explained this more concisely.

13 Comments:

At August 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Fuzzy Tales said...

Hmm, what is this? We don't use Google+ that we know of...Are they going to delete our blog? We'll have to look into this!

 
At August 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM , Blogger Fuzzy Tales said...

Oh, after a Google search (ha) we realize you mean Google's social network, not Blogger. Gotcha. We're glad we don't use any social networks, as we think FB does the same thing--you have to use a human name.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM , Anonymous Sparkle said...

Oddly enough, my human is on Google+ and she sees quite a few kitties on there. Does this mean it's not worth my while to join Google+, even if I've been invited?

 
At August 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Blogger K-Koira said...

Interesting. Maybe I'm missing something, but what does Google+ have to do with a blog hosted on Blogger?

 
At August 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger OllyTed said...

Google have had sum dissapowntin ideas abowt identity.. inclewdin preventin users haffin ther own online identity.. ther ar millions of john smiths in th werld but peeple haf made unique web identitys. it beary sad if google prevent users beein whoever they want as they chase th advertisin dollar.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Pumpkinpuddy said...

@OllyTed
I honestly don't know if advertising is what it is about. That's just the supposition of someone online that I talk to and I think it's a good one.

Whether selling us to advertisers is at the root of this or not, it's still a bad policy. Some people use unique identities to protect themselves from abuse, from being found by stalkers, or dozens of other legitimate reasons. Google should just let us be who we want to be.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM , Blogger K-Koira said...

Thank you for the added information. Makes a whole lot more sense to me now. Well, the problem you are seeing makes more sense. The stance of Google that you have to use a legal name in the online world just seems stupid to me.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Cathy Keisha said...

Brian from Brian's Home had a company transfer his blog. I don't know how much it cost him. I axed for a quote and never received it.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Pumpkinpuddy said...

@Cathy Keisha
I did see that I could have Word Press do the conversion for me, but thanks to some advice from Indulged Furries, I got the stuff transferred. There's still some clean-up work to do and some personalization that needs to be done, but I hope the new site will be ready for next weekend.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Oskar said...

Hmm, I just signed up for a Google + account on a whim. I really hope that all of my Blogger blogs don't get screwed up! I guess my mom person better do more research.

Thanks for the info, good luck & let us know how it goes :)

Oskar & Pam too

 
At August 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous tikka_2 said...

Mai mama wuzznt able to sign up fur google + but after she read dis she won't even if dey let her. We r looking forward to yoor noo blog!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 4:35 AM , Blogger Bad Andy said...

More power to ya, Pumpkin! :) Keep to your standards & you'll never falter ~ all the best to you in your move to WordPress. XoX

 
At August 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Brian's Home Blog said...

You will love WordPress...best thing I ever did was move. Lots of luck sweetie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home